Uma is an fashion designer by profession, living in Auroville, South of India, since 1996.
She is the founder of Upasana, a design studio in Auroville, started in 1997. (www.upasana.in )
Through Upasana she brings the rich tradition of Indian textiles to Auroville and through Auroville to the world. Over the years focus of Upasana moved to the field of socially responsible design. Her areas of interest are:
- Conserving textile traditions of India and their modern applications
- Supporting craft traditions
- Natural fibers and dyes
- Women’s empowerment
- Socially responsible business
- Project and process design
- Integral Design and
- Spiritual vision and work of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother.
- There is only one user, the Supreme Self who dwells in all.
- Work is worship and love in action
- Upasana means worshiping the Divine.
There is a presence of the sacred, a divine intelligence and providence, that guides and does everything and my role is to perfect myself as an instrument so that this greater Self can act through me. The more one come in touch with the inmost core of ones own being the more one feels the presence of the sacred and its action. It is in that growing oneness the integral action unfolds.
Integral action in team work can emerge only in tune with the inner integration of its members. So in Upasana we put people at the centre and all the resources are meant for the inner and outer growth of our people who are directly or indirectly involved in the work of Upasana. We use creativity as a means to push people beyond their comfort zones to explore new ranges of their being."